Wednesday, March 30, 2011

story time hecklers

No doubt about it I love my story time hecklers.  Now, you wouldn't think that a simple and sweet activity like story time would draw the hecklers but it does and I love it.  My hecklers are under 5, and  are as sweet and innocent as they come, but that doesn't stop them from shouting out the truth, as they see it.    Yesterday, my heckler, 5 year old Emily who has been coming to story time for three years, drew her eyebrows together and exclaimed, "This is nonsense!" I loved it, her mom was mortified and whipped her out of the building as soon as story time was over.

Now, let me set the scene.  It is preschool story time and the theme is "Farms"-so many fun books to read and flannels but at the time of the heckling we were just finishing  the song and flannel to Old MacDonald.  While we sing along to the song I put up the flannels of different animals and Emily is having a fine time all through it.  But the end of the song brought the knitted brows and look of disgust.  At the end there is a "great big tickle bug" so I shoo the kids off to tickled their moms, dads, grandparents etc and it was fun with laughter and giggles all around.  Emily, being an only child, likes calm and she is firmly planted in reality.  She didn't even like the book The Cow Loves Cookies, because cows don't eat cookies.  So before the song is even over she has had enough and firmly declares, "This is nonsense!"  I laughed and every adult in the room laughed except Emily's mom.  I can laugh because she isn't my child but I have been there. 

1 comment:

  1. Dylan used to get in trouble for heckling a lot. I mean with teachers, I generally think it's hilarious! I bet you're a great Storytime Lady!

    ReplyDelete