Monday, April 11, 2011

My Birthday

Today is my birthday!  I shout it loud and proud and will even tell you that I am 43!  WhooHoo!  If you grew up in a big family-then you know that you have to advertise your birthday with the forcefulness and determination of -I don't know-a preacher saving us from the fires of hell, or no one will care or even remember.  I have a bet with my kids:  Will my mother remember to call me today?  Still waiting and it is almost 2 p.m..  Well it won't be the first time.  This is why I advertise  it but  I guess I forgot to remind her when I wished her a happy birthday two weeks ago.  My fault if she doesn't call.

Anyway, my husband complains jokingly, I think, that my birthday isn't just one day but it is stretched out for at least one week.  I have heard other members of big families can stretch theirs out for one month, but I'll take a week.  So last night, the night before my official birthday, because the celebration week had begun, my family and our friends and their crew went to Mellow Mushroom for dinner.  Good time, and while we were there a clown/balloon lady was working for tips.  All six kids got balloons and I got a crown.  A lovely pink and green balloon crown with silver beads that I wore in the restaurant and, of course, to work today.  The story time 2-3 year olds were not too fazed by it because an adult with a balloon crown fits into their visions  of the world-the parents were secretly jealous. 

The celebration continues tonight with warm brownies and vanilla bean ice cream with whipped topping, caramel sauce and walnuts and presents.  You can come if you want but you have to bring dinner-for the entire week-it's my birthday and I don't think I should ruin my birthday crown with such meaningless tasks.  I will leave that to the peasantry.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's because of fewer kids in my household, but I always remember your special day toots. And as always, I hope it's full of copious amounts of love, happiness and of course cake. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete