Saturday, March 12, 2011

Picture books

It's the nature of my job-but I do read a lot of picture books.  I read at least six per day on a story time day and I am always searching for some great new picture books to add to the story time themes.  This week my theme was silly books.  As you can imagine there are lots to choose from and I read some fun books this week.  One book that went really well was Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Tom Lichteheld (Chronicle Books, 2009).  The illustrations are amazing.  Depending on how you look at the illustrations you may see a form of a duck or the form of a rabbit.  The author goes from one voice  claiming the form is a duck and the other voice claiming the form is a rabbit.  The toddlers and preschoolers that I read this book to were mesmerized and I could tell they were trying to discern the forms as I read.  Even the parents were intrigued which always leads me to believe that the book is a winner.  I could hear the oohs, aahs and chuckles of the parents as I read.  I love when a story time book is a hit!

This image was taken from Amazon-follow this link to take a look inside.
http://www.amazon.com/Duck-Rabbit-Amy-Krouse-Rosenthal/dp/0811868656/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299945360&sr=1-1




No comments:

Post a Comment