Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter

Three cute little story time girls came in and said that they had bunnies in their front yard.  I'll bite- "What color are they?"  I asked.  I got blank stares from the girls so I chalked it up to their limited vocabulary, maybe I was talking too fast, who knows.  So I followed up with, "The Easter Bunny made an early visit and left them in your front yard.  Are they pink or blue or green?"  More blank stares.  Then the nanny explained that they were real bunnies in the front yard...now it all comes together.  I chatted with the girls about the bunnies, but it got me thinking.  I should decorate with my kids for Easter. Good idea.

Friday evening Adam is so excited.  He asked me if we could decorate for Easter on Saturday, and remembering the girls' excitement about bunnies, although they were not big pink plastic bunnies like I thought, I said sure. Adam and Maddy could hardly sleep they are so excited about decorating.  The next morning I made a big pancake breakfast then the festivities began.  Rob went down to the basement to get the tub labeled "Spring/Easter".  By the size of the tub there must be lots of great stuff in it. Sam, Maddy Adam and I gather around the island for the big tub opening.  It's been a few years since we have decorated for Easter, so we are expecting stuffed bunnies and so many unimaginable decorations in an array of soft spring colors. Well, let me just tell you that it was like that scene in The Christmas Story when the father gets the wooden crate marked "Fragile", opens it with the crow bar and steps in to find... a leg lamp. 

Here is a list, in order, of the fabulous decorations we found:
1.  4th of July banner
2.  4th of July wall hanging
3.  Summer candles (Rob hopefully asked if it was an Easter candle)
4.  Finally a promising looking box that says "Easter Express" with a picture of a ceramic train-hooray!!  It's empty:(
5.  Easter baskets-two for each child-(our Easter bunny doesn't fool around)
6.  On the very bottom-plastic eggs-one did have candy in it still which Adam tried to eat until I interceded.

No bunnies or unimaginable decorations-nothing.  There were looks of stunned disbelief and heavy sighs.  A little head scratching, wondering what happened to all of the Easter stuff, another sigh.  So we took the eggs and matched them and counted them.  Then we talked about filling them with candy for the egg hunt on Sunday at Aunt Carol's.  We all felt better after that.  The boys went back to the game station,  Maddy went to clean her room,  Rob went to the den to work, and I went to the store... to buy candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment